Did you know you're supposed to clean your dishwasher every 30 days?! I know this is a lot and is most likely very unreasonable for your busy schedule! However, if you can't remember the last time you've cleaned it or you didn't even know you were supposed to clean it, now is the time!!😉
But, how does one even go about cleaning the dishwasher?? This week we're telling you exactly how to do it step-by-step so you can have a brand new sparkling, odor-free dishwasher!✨
Keep in mind, every dishwasher is different so this just a basic overview, and how I clean my dishwasher specifically!☺️
How To Deep Clean Your Dishwasher
1. First and foremost, remove all the dishes from your dishwasher! You want to ensure it is completely empty before beginning the deep cleaning process🍽️
2. Next, in case you didn't know, your dishwasher has filters!!😯 You actually want to be removing these at least once a week to rinse them off. But if you didn't even know about them, then now is the time!! This is what catches all the stuck on food and gunk🤢
Typically, these filters are in the bottom of your dishwasher under the bottom rack. To find them, pull out the bottom rack and search on the floor of your dishwasher. It may be in the back corner of the dishwasher tub or around the base of the bottom spray arm. 💪 If you can't find it, refer to the manufacturers instructions or try looking up your specific dishwasher model! If you have an older model, it may have a non-removable, self-cleaning filter!☺️
3. For mild cleaning, simply rinse off any debris under running warm water.💦 If you have stuck on food, fill the sink or a bowl with warm soapy water and let filters soak for 10+ min.⏰!!
For a more aggressive clean, use a SOFT brush (ex. I use these!!) or cloth on the mesh filters to remove all of the gunk.🧽 A rough sponge or wire brush can damage the filter so you want to be very careful!! Once filters are clean, set them off to the side!
4. Sprinkle some baking soda on the floor of your machine and scrub it in with a soft brush and some warm water.🧽 When done, make sure the filter holder is thoroughly wiped down with warm water and there is not lasting residue before putting the filters back in‼️
5. This is a great time to wipe down the sides of the machine, the seal and the door!! These are commonly forgotten but there may be stuck on gunk or debris that needs a good wipe.🧼 Additionally, while you have the dishwasher door open, wipe down a cabinets next to the machine that never get seen because the door is there!!🚪
6. When you're ready, go ahead and return those filters to the machine. 👏 AND if you keep your silverware holder on the door, move it to the bottom rack so that the door can also get cleaned!🍴
7. Add a bottle of commercial dishwasher cleaner; I find that this removes DEEP down gunk faster & better than DIY methods. I personally use Glisten (I find it is most effective and the easiest to use) but there are many other commercial products on the market!!🏪
Secure bottle into the bottom rack OR if you have the utensil holder on on the bottom rack, secure it there (as shown in picture).🛠️ But if you prefer DIY, you can always add a dishwasher safe cup or bowl of vinegar to the top rack.
8. Next, run your machine on the HOTTEST & LONGEST cycle. 🔥When cycle is done, remove & recycle the cleaner bottle and enjoy a FRESH, clean & good smelling machine… & fresher dishes!🤩
We hope this step-by-step guide helped you and your dishwasher!!😉 If you're more of a visual learner, check out this video to watch me fully deep clean my dishwasher with all these steps!!🎥
Let us know if you have any questions or tips you use when cleaning your dishwasher!😍